View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #12925
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
Umm. Really? I ride with a Daytona 675, a Daytona 955, a Hypermotard 796 and a couple Aprilia's. I don't have any problems in the corners keeping up with them. I have caught the end of the sidestand a few times but I also have a bigger pad on it than stock.
Maybe I just hang off more than most?

Jim
We all know riding has less to do with the bike, than it does with the rider. I ride a lot of tight technical stuff where the best bike would probably be a <500cc super motard, and I do get my butt off the seat. Over the last decade, I've owned a R1100S, R1150GS, WR250X, XR1200, and T800. Only ever touched hard parts down on the last two bikes, and most frequently on the Tiger, and I'd argue that I've been slowing down (getting old). Weighing in at 150lbs, I've always set my unladened preload to <25%.... on the Tiger, I'm starting to bump that up to 30-45%... not ideal as the rear starts to feel too stiff vs the front.

To say it has less clearance than a "Harley" may seem like a cut.... but the XR was one hell of cornering demon - here's a typical tire off that bike Clicky.