Thread: Dammit Boy
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #55
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Not having mine apart ever I was wondering if the gasket is one of those that must be replaced or if it will survive r&r. I realize having one I on hand is a good idea.
Usually the gasket will survive, but replacing is the best option to ensure no leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Irv View Post
Can these bolts be safety wired? Haven't opened mine up yet and a quick search didn't find any pictures that would tell me. If there is room enough that the safety wire wouldn't interfere with anything I'd buy a set of bolts and have them drilled for wire and replace the existing bolts. With locktite 648 and safety wire there'd be no worries. Has anybody done this?
I have not seen it done, however does not mean it cannot be done.... its a very tight fit, so the safety wire would have be very neat and tight to the flywheel, possibly bonded to the flywheel with adhesive of some-sort... otherwise the same thing would happen as if the bolts came out; contact with alternator windings=distruction
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote