View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I really blame only myself for the challenge, but I wish it was easier. I did try the the KML export (and GPSBabel), but it kept saying I had nothing to route. As for Garmin 450 limitations, Garmin told me this was a perfect choice. I guess I don't really understand the track vs. route issue you raised. Aren't tracks where you've been and Routes where you want to go?

RZ Rob
When you purchased your zumo 450 Garmin was probable giving you good advice. Things change in four or five years - including how we use our GPS tools.

Your observation of Tracks and Routes is, in general, a good one. But, when a Google "route" is saved to a KML/KMZ file the special data used to create the route is lost and the route you created is reduced to a series of location points along the path you created in Google Maps. That series of points is coded to look just like a Track that your GPS records when you travel. When you bring that Track into BaseCamp (using either of the methods above) you can then Create a Route from the Track. This Route will have two many Via Points so you should reduce the via point count to as few as will keep your Route on the path you intended - use the Track as your guide. It doesn't get recalculated like a Route does.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote