Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #24109
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Hey man, thanks for the reply. The XT hub is what they were suggesting, and the $200 includes rebuilding the rear wheel with that hub, or $75 for the stock free hub with a rebuild. I would upgrade to a Chris King or similar, but I'm really just looking for something that won't break again anytime soon, I've spent enough cash on this bike as is. Would you say the CK is worth the price? I was really hoping to spend money upgrading brakes before a freehub. Elixir 1s suck!
I've had my CKs for 4 years. I originally had them in a 26er wheelset and then used them for my 29er build. They have been great. I had to adjust them once during the first month as they broke in and I haven't touched them since. They are worth it if you are going to keep them for a long time. If you are just trying to get your bike going again and want something you don't have to worry about I'd say the XTs are good enough.

However Gummee brings up a good point about ebay. I would get your existing hub fixed under warranty and then sell the wheelset. You can find a complete front and rear wheelset for $200 with XT hubs. Velocity and Mavic rims are good. DT Swiss wheelsets are good too. I would stay away from complete Mavic wheelsets though. They look cool but I broke several spokes (proprietary spokes) and my buddy trashed his freehub three times.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote