View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I drove through Moab and Castle Valley last August on our circuitous way back from Colorado on the 990 and thought then it was worth a return trip, so when I stumbled across Rider23/Ted's post back in September in which he was looking for riders to accompany him to Moab, I responded.

The post said - "...This is for the serious rider only...". Well, I definitely consider myself a serious rider... not a very good rider, but a serious rider, I rarely crack jokes. In the interest of full disclosure, I did warn Ted that I was newish to offroad, but on the other hand, had been told on multiple occasions that I had more guts than brains. After some back and forth, we confirmed I was in.

When I told my wife I was going to Moab she asked, "With Whom?".
"Guys from the ADV forum"
"Internet friends? Have you ever met any of these guys?"
"No"
"And you're sure they're not ax murders?"
"Pretty sure, I just have to send them money and I'm in."
"Sounds like an offer from a Nigerian Prince"

Fast forward to that Thursday in May, I trailered the bike to 4badboyz/Mark's, place introduce myself, and drop off the bike and luggage. The next morning I got dropped off at Mark's place at 9:00.

He's loaded up the truck and trailer, and we wait for the call that tells us the Ottawa crew are within 100km.

Fast forward again to Sunday - we hit Moab at the crack of dawn, grab breakfast and the group disperses after we all hit the visitor center. I find a room at one of the hotels on the strip, hop in the shower to wash away two days of road grime, and crash, as in sleep, for four hours while others(Mark) are crashing literally. It's only when I wake up that it hits me, we're here and I'm about to start riding Moab. Cool.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote