View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #13352
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Thanks Petrus,
When I got the bike it was in pieces and the plastics were so smashed up (and replacements hard to find) that I just did a cheap and cheerful makeover.
The front radiator shrouds are aluminium from an old road sign!
The high front mudguard is purely aesthetic, and was me poking fun at the BMW beak.
Only later did I find out that Suzuki had sone something similar with the DR Big many years before BMW.
Transalps of this age are pretty rare in Australia, which is strange because we have a lot of opportunity for ADV riding down here.
Unlike the professionals on this board (Ladder, Mas, Locorider) I have done nothing to the suspension and brakes other than change the oil in the front forks. Instead, I ride the bike in country that the suspension can cope with (mostly!), and if I want to try more technical stuff, I use my DRZ.

I have three bikes:
  1. 2009 Yamaha TDM 900 (90% road use)
  2. 1987 Transalp (50% road/offroad)
  3. 2009 DRZ 400 (90% offroad) (that's it in the lower photo; 17 litre tank so a range of about 350 km - also an ADV bike)
so I'm lucky enough to have the right bike for every occasion, and all for less that $20,000 AUD.
Cheers
Tim

I think the "Professor" ( Ladder) out shines us all when it comes to suspension knowledge. I just know where the parts go, Ray knows how to make them work better.