Thread: KLRsys build
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
The biggest hassles were getting the throttle bodies hooked up to the original KLR airbox/filter, and dealing with the fuel pump. The TB's are normally aimed at the bottom of the tank where the airbox is on the Versys, closer to straight up, and of course the KLR airbox is under the seat. I flipped the TB's and manifolds upside down to get them to about a 45 degree angle, made a new bell crank for the cables and made a "box" to connect the TB's to the airbox. It's a very tight fit. The fuel pump was tank mounted and I couldn't put it in the KLR tank so I made a small tank for it and put it in the battery box along with the electronics (ECU, relay box, etc). Figuring out how to do a lot of it took far more time than actually getting it done. Getting the engine in and frame modified wasn't all that hard. I did have to get a real tubing bender though. The electrics were not bad, I used the complete wiring harness, electronics, switches and instruments from the Versys, so it all pretty much plugged in with just a few modifications.
KLRsys is offline   Reply With Quote