I'm sorry if this RR is getting to be more about me working on my bike than about riding on Vancouver Island, but I suppose it comes out of being able to ride and commute all year (much of it in the rain), rather than putting the machine away for 6 months and working on it in the off season. This is my only vehicle, so I can't afford to neglect it anymore!
It's been a month long ordeal, but I finally have all of the rear suspension bearings and wheel bearings installed! That took way longer than it should have....It's a big job when everything is stuck together. It's not how I like spending my weekends!
Now about those machine shop perks...There are a few things that have made life easier being in my line of work. I have made the odd few parts for the bike including stainless wheel spacers, exhaust brackets and switch mounts, and if I need a special tool, sometimes I can make it. A while back, I made up a few punches to make the process a bit easier.
This is how far I had to tear into it to replace the upper shock bearing, and to boot, I'll have to do it again! I missed re-installing a snap ring whick holds the bearing in place...I hate having parts left over....
Good cleaning opportunity though!
Just last weekend ( June 3rd, Happy Birthday Dad! Mom's was May 31st ) I finally defeated the last stuck frame linkage bolt.
I soaked it in oil and half beat it to death with a drift the previous weekend, and it would not budge. It's a real tight spot, and the angle of contact was not great.
It finally budged when I used an idea that Eric at work gave me. I made up a block to fit between the nut and the frame stanchion, with clearance milled into it for the brake sensor mount, which I didn't want to crush. I then held the nut stationary while turning the bolt, and it started to crack loose! Tightened it once more, and wegded it on the block again to loosen the crud, and drove it home with the drift!
It's a beautiful thing!