View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #13047
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Today is Friday and on Wednesday morning I started it up and it sounded clackity, from the top of the motor.
It's gotten worse every moment since and I just swung by the dealer and have an appointment on next Wed. to have the dealer mechanic pull the valve covers off and have a look - cam, valves, timing chain, etc.

It sounds like a bike that's run outta oil, but the oil level is spot on. I check it pretty religiously. No residue in the tail pipe, just a tiny bit of carbon. This, plus the fact that the oil level has never changed leads me to believe I'm not burning or losing oil. The clack is so loud, my decidedly non-mechanical wife can hear it plain as day.

I'm pretty worried since it sounds like ass, and I absolutely LOVE the bike. I won't ride it again until I have to take it to the dealer - which is unfortunately about a 25 mile fwy. ride, so I'm just gonna stew and fret.

Any insights from the peanut gallery?
Mine did the same thing after sitting in stop............and go traffic for about 3.5 hours in 95deg heat to and from the Indy 500. You could hear the valve train rattle for 30 seconds or so after it started and then the noise would go away. My take was that the oil (Honda branded MC oil) had broken down from the extreme heat and was not leaving a film in the head for startup, so I changed it out with Castrol MC synthetic. Problem was immediately resolved. Motorcycles are hard on oil. Idling them and running them at low speed in the heat is even harder on oil.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote