View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #224
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Well, I'm not going RTW any time soon. But multi-day trips here and there, sure.

The ignition system that Euromoto sells for the stock alternator allows the stock points and advance setup to stay on the bike. Switching back takes 5 minutes on the road. Something to consider...
looks like we are going opposite directions. look at what just got yanked out of R80 G/S
much easier to field repair points ignition vs electronic ignition with little to no penalty.

once condenser values are dialed in and proper cam lube used, points can last for a very long time.
ran the same set of points and condenser in my 56 Austin Healey 100-4 for 10+ years (my main transport besides a HD Superglide) until I parked it. when your points reaches a neutral state of not depositing metal on either side. points will hold their dwell and can last 25k+ miles.

there's more logic to this ... the most common failure with R80 G/S during RTW is electronic ignition. not always same part fails but result is the same. halls pickup dies, magnets comes loose, ICU dies, etc. etc. trying to locate electronic ignition bean can parts in say Mongolia is not high on my list of fun things.

working electronic ignition yanked on R80 G/S

these little lovelies are in it's new home (one spare beancan with points)
had to switch from 1.5 ohm to 3 ohm coil for points

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 07:15 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote