View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,056
I love it, looking forward to more! I like how it's starting off so close to home for me...I've spent almost my entire life in relatively near vicinity to and with strong family ties in Superior//Duluth. And yet, there's so much here that I've yet to see. Let alone the rest of the circle tour (which I have not done yet).

Quote:
These docks, like many others still in use, used to be set up to have trains roll right out onto the dock to offload and fill the ship loading bins. The train tracks have been pulled and a huge conveyor now runs from the stockpiles to the dock. Not sure what the advantage is. I guess there will always be enough taconite on hand to sustain an efficient ore boat schedule without having to worry about trains keeping the docks filled.
My guess (only somewhat educated) as to the reason for conversion to conveyors over trains is ship loading speed. It takes a long time to get trains on and off of docks and it takes several trains to load an ore boat. A conveyor system on the other hand can load continuously, along with loading only specific bins, if needed.

Lutz screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 05:06 PM
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote