View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,957
Blast from the Past!

The Fools Gold! Georgetown!

That was the very last enduro I ever rode. 1980. I rode a YZ125F. My buddy rode a Honda MT 175. Dang he was good on that little thing until about half way it started overheating and losing power. He all the way back to San Jose in my little yellow Dodge van shorty with the slant six and three on the tree. That Dodge was the gold standard of dirtbike haulers.

I am surprised the new course was easy for you. In those days it was mostly single track winding steeply up and down through dense trees. The single track would be a deep rut over roots and slime by the time I got there. As I recall the soil was redder than what you might find around Clear Lake for the old Cowbell and Jackhammer enduros. Those seemed more rocks.

Enjoying your vintage tale. Sorry about the clock, but we rarely even kept time. Only the top guys did that stuff. Back in the pack was more like a hare scramble of attrition. We raced to be among the first to the inevitable mud bog before it was impassable.

No pics of the YZ, but here is some old gear from those days I still have. Just looking at it makes me smell Blendzall premix...

Cheers and keep her commin'
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote