View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
compassexpeditions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Day 8 – Romanian Rain
May 28, 2012
Today we set off for a comparatively short day, only 340 km, but some of it on concrete roads in poor condition. And some kamikaze drivers in cars have appeared, there were some close calls especially when traffic is crowded. I nicked out before breakfast to photograph Timisoara with nobody about, this is the main square but I cannot show the magnificent ornate buildings on all 4 sides:

Here’s a little park in the back streets, a religious statue in bad condition, but it must have survived all the years of Communism. And in a fortnight they are having an election, with candidates and free speech and stuff – a relatively new experience here:

Back to the hotel, these are the main stairs; the rooms and corridors from Communist-era hotels are great cavernous spaces devoid of all character. (My hotel tonight is built like that, but is brand-new … they must like that style)

The first part of the ride today was flat, then we went up into some minor hills at a place called Blaj. We passed a house with a nice carefully-tended garden with pond and gnomes, and other garden ornaments including an aeroplane. I wonder what my wife would say if I put one in our garden … and how did they get it there, fly it in? Here’s me at the viewing point before entering Blaj:
[

The rain set in, and unlike the French, Swiss or Hungarian rains, all of which I know and love, Romanian rain is steady and continuous. It rained as we rode, it rained as we waited outside the hotel for the others to arrive so we could book in, it rained when we went out for dinner, it rained in the night and at breakfast-time it is raining now. (I have poor wi-fi in my room so am sending this from the lobby). Sighisoara is a very well=-preserved medieval hill town and fortress, and if it stops raining today I’ll go and look at it, but meanwhile here’s a picture of Sighisoara’s strikingly painted cathedral. In the rain.
compassexpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote