Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #182
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Well from that video, I can see that you are leaning into the turn. I was doing the same thing earlier, and had a really hard time making the bike lean to its maximum.

Here is the explanation we got from UK Gymkhana folks.

When you are doing a tight turn, you must be more concerned about your rear wheel than anything else. Rear wheel is solidly connected to the bike, so the only way to turn it, is to lean it. So when you are doing a tight turn for Gymkhana, you want MAXIMUM lean on the bike + full lock on the bars to get the tightest turn possible.

Before, I was playing with different body postures, but still preferred leaning into the turn. This works great when you are at speed, since in a turn at speed, you want to minimize the lean of the bike, so you get more traction and you don't run out of lean angle on your bike and go wide.

Here its opposite. You WANT to lean the bike as much as you can.

The easiest way to do that, is to counter balance with your torso. Lean the bike under you, but keep the torso to the outer side of the turn. You can see top Gymkhana riders are doing the same.

Just my observation. The slower you go, the more counterbalance you have to do. In the video above, rider is going at a pretty brisk pace, but he is still counter leaning a little bit, not as much as me though since I'm going slower, so speed also plays a part here.
I just posted my own observations which mirror what you just said, d'oh..

Each time we go out there is a wee improvement, something as outwardly simple as using the back brake takes a lot of reconditioning to make habitual. At the moment the biggest thing for me is being smooth & quick, I am still having to make corrections to my lines which as the pace increases will cause a quick dismount.
We are on the prowl for a bigger area to set up a more complicated course with fewer hazards like kerbs & bike eating drains. Be interesting to see what happens to the flow when we find somewhere.
Play around with body position & mobility next time out me thinks.

Scraping boots? I managed to do that on the DT but that is more a reflection on boot size than lean angle.. Thing is, I want to do that consistently.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote