View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #3292
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
...On the other hand, the Multi is marketed as bike that is meant also for urban traffic which might include stop and go and super slow rolling and also enduro style riding which means often enough slowly and carefully chugging through difficult passages. The Multi I rode didn't like those two things at all. Flowing with the traffic at 15mph was very, very uncomfortable, it was hacking, slapping the chain, vibrating and so on. Totally possible that a newer map corrected that, I never tested one again. The R1200GS I could ride at 5mph without any trouble. And YES, I understand that these are totally different bikes.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not "nitpicking" the Multi, I'm saying what I didn't like when I rode it. I wrote a blog entry shortly after I rode one and had a few things that really annoyed me on that test ride. Interesting enough all these things were addressed in the 2011 and 2012 models. Being that the short rider seat space, the uneven fueling at steady speed, the luggage where you could look through the manufacturing gaps, I even read that the centerstand was slightly altered so that you don't get your heel on it all the time, though I cannot really confirm that as test sitting on a 2012 model felt the same for me with regard to that. I don't own a Multi, I test rode one twice and that were the results. If I owned one, I might start with the real problems but I never got that far as I disliked it already during the test ride enough so that the telepathic handling, the insane power, the unbelievably good brakes, and the really, really nice riding position couldn't make me buy one. And believe me - I was in the market.

When I'm ready for my next bike I will ride one again and see whether the things I didn't like and that were supposedly addressed did something that makes it better for me, because from my perspective all these things are so unnecessary. Not certain about the low speed manners, as that might just be engine characteristic, but the rest was probably easily dealt with and some of it shouldn't have happened in the first place (luggage, and imho centerstand).

But you know what - I didn't like the Multi enough to buy one, you did, so where's the problem? I'm not addressing anybody here personally (other than now ignoring some people), I'm saying what my impression of the bike was when I test rode it.
Sounds like you treated the demo bike very respectful and kept it tame and within the legal limits. I can appreciate that and I'm sure the dealer does as well. I did the same, but I had a feeling there was a beast inside...

However when you own one, you will quickly find even in urban mode it is too tempting to push the limits or have too much fun. The bike begs to be ridden hard. Stuck in traffic? Not on this bike. Lane split, take short cuts. Feel and enjoy the nimbleness. Have fun while flipping the bird to the man and the system. Passing the cell phone talking bitch in front of you, yeah do it, do it now and do it quickly... Oh no another one? Pass that bitch too! Riding around the neighborhood where some through streets have speed bumps, wheelie them, wheelie them all!

I'm not a stunter. I'm not a hoon. I'm not a squid, riding in flip flops wife beater with the helmet on the side. The abundance of torque and high end rush make all this available. I don't do this everyday, all the time, but when I judge the time and conditions correct it's there. The closest correlation I can think of is like owning a full auto or semi auto rifle and never sending a quick burst down range just because you can.

I'm not a die hard ducatista (SP?) either. I realize this post may be misinterpreted as that. I've never ridden any other Ducati in my life. However, the MTS1200 really hit a cord with me, it just so happens to be made by Ducati. I think it's a shame Yamaha or Honda can't make a bike that's even close.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote