View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
GurgaonTrails OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Bike prep - Enfield

After a number of rides, I think I have reached the right level of fixes to make the bike right for the mixed riding that is Ladakh - offroad and onroad, long straight highways, windy mountain roads, high altitudes, etc. All the fixes are really simple and straightforward.

First reduce weight....so no rear seat, then lighter version of Enfield official mudguards/fenders, lightweight and simple Enfield engine guard-bars, rear shocks on stiffest setting. I also removed the center stand...reduces weight and increases ground clearance. How to fix flats? We'll just have to see......

I put in a Hitchcock Motorcycles (UK) sump guard, really sturdy steel unit. Swapped the handlebar for a wide and higher cross-braced offroad handlebar. And MSR Barkbusters from the US.

Offroading tyres - huge hassle always finding these in India. For the rear I had replaced the 19" rim with a 18" rim for this purpose. Ran a Duro tyre for quite a while, finally was showing wear after about 4000kms, so put in a new one. All I could find this time was King's Tire. It's knobby and hard, so let's see. For the 19" front all I could find is a dual purpose type, so it'll have to do. Better than stock for sure.

On the back, I have a small fabricated steel carrier. No real use, as the bike will have sling-over saddlebags, but still a steady platform to tie stuff down.

And finally, spare clutch and throttle cables routed in and taped to the installed cables.

Spares include two tubes each for each tyre, puncture stickers, one clutch set, spare footpegs and hand levers, fuses, spark plugs, bulbs, cables, chain links, zip-ties, epoxy.

The bike got serviced and ready yesterday at my favourite Aman Automobiles in Gurgaon. They put it down for a "Ladakh check-up". Oil in good shape, clutch plates good, brake oil topped up, nuts and bolts tightened, new chain link put in and chain oiled, wheels balanced and aligned, electricals tested and sorted. Battery is a bit low due to low usage, but in good health and will charge up while riding.

So one bike good to go. Today I finalise the Honda.

The Enfield going through the routine

All ready

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote