View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
GurgaonTrails OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Honda XR prep

First thing on the XR400 was to make it more road worthy.....basically the engine would feel strained at even 80kmph sustained. So I've put in a 16 tooth front sproket and I'll carry the original 15 tooth in the bag. Already I can feel the engine running easier and I dont seem to have lost any low end either.

A number of other things had been getting put on already - 3.8 gallon Clarke tank, MSR Barkbusters, Devol skid plate, new clutch cable and perch.

The latest addition is a set of locally bought cheap mirrors - came in chrome so I spray painted them black. The fancy Acerbis set I had imported was useless with such short stems that all I saw were the hair on my forearms.

And then I've put in a set of MotoSport pannier brackets to keep bags off the side panels and exhaust. The tyres are Pirelli MT21, newly put in. Also put in a horn, almost critical in India, which seems to be right real moody bitch.

The bike is now ready. New oil, chain cleaned and lubed. The only thing I'm worried about is kickstarting in cold weather in the thin air of the high altitudes. Let's see how that goes. Usually starts in third kick, but every once in a while the bike tries to teach me who's the boss.

Prep work in a "workshop"...(they do know what they're doing...)

The pannier brackets

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)

GurgaonTrails screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 10:19 PM
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote