View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #65
charliebrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I can see the similarities between the new Trophy and RT, but frankly, I don't care, and I OWN an '09 RT. People want to criticize Triumph for developing another copy/clone of BMW, but I think it's more of addressing the needs of that particular motorcycle niche. A dual sport from Honda will look similar to a dual sport from Suzuki. A sport bike from Kawasaki will look like a sport bike from pretty much every other manufacturer (ok, maybe not Ducati). This is not a bad thing, it's just what works.

I previously owned a BMW K1200GT but traded it in on my RT, but not until after looking long and hard at the offerings from Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki. The RT had the best ergonomics of them all, BY FAR. And while I loved the inline 4 of the GT, comfort, long distance ride-ability, and leg room of the RT trumped the engine of the GT, because without the better ergonomics, the bike wouldn't get ridden.

When I was picking up my RT, i casually mentioned to the salesman that if BMW offered the GT engine in the RT frame, I would be first in line. He mentioned that he had heard that from several people that were moving over from the GT to the RT. So BMW releases the K16 and Triumph announces the Trophy. Apparently Triumph was eavesdropping.

I certainly don't have the sales numbers to back this up, but from what I understand, the RT is a terrific seller for BMW. Triumph could do a lot worse than targeting those buyers. As for me, I have been anticipating the Trophy ever since it was rumored back in the end of 2010 and am looking forward to the motorcycle shows this winter where I can see one in person. I think Triumph might have nailed another one.
charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote