View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #79
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I was checking out KLR650s on Craig's list - I think that's my machine to park with the Rebel - when we get our furlough days back
You might want to check out DR650's as well. While similar in intent, the DR's are not quite as tall.. I've put thousands of miles on both on and off road and would say there capabilities are well matched. If the KLR felt tall, the DR might feel just right.

Back on topic: sport tourers are designed for going long distances, quickly, and in comfort while maintaining more of a grin-factor in the twisty bits than a full-up touring rig. If none of that appeals/applies to you, by all means shop the other 94% of the market. You don't win a ralley on speed tho, in fact excessive speed can hurt you. Ralley's are about long distance endurance which is why sport touring bikes are significantly over-represented in the results. You can (and I have) take a 250 on a thousand mile journey but it's at the upper edge of its design envelope. A sport touring bike, on the other hand, is just getting started right about then.