View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
... the NTX, the Tenere and the Explorer are all on the short list. You haven't test rode either of the other two have you?
And yea,,,, Rider's Hill rocks!

Thanks for the kind words.

I have not ridden either the Tenere or the big new Triumph Explorer. I sat on both bikes and eliminated them both because they are way too fat for my tastes.

Both of those bikes are HUGE. The hugeness is not just a matter of weight for me but also a matter of dimensional size. Both the Tenere and the Explorer are tranversely-mounted, multi-cylinder, water-cooled machines. Both have huge radiators hanging up front around which the body parts have been designed. Sitting on them is sorta like the BMW GS Adventure. They are very wide. I do not like that.

I did take a test ride of the Triumph 800 XC Tiger and I eliminated it for the same reasons. It too seems very wide and as dimensionally large as my 1200GS. I don't like wide, fat bikes. The Stelvio feels very svelte compared to those bikes and the Guzzi carries a darn 8.5 gallon tank !

Another thing, an important thing, is that I do not particularly like 4-cylinder or 3-cylinder bikes. I prefer a twin, especially a V Twin. I like the torque. I like the feel. I like the sound. I like they way they hook-up on dirt.

The Triumph 800 XC was what I call a "sewing machine bike." Smooth, too smooth. The Triumph triple sounds and feels non-visceral. I don't want that. If I want smooth and quite etc, I just take my Z71 Tahoe.

leafman60 screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 03:16 PM
leafman60 is online now   Reply With Quote