View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,920
Bottom line up front - I made it to ABQ and found Jack at the hotel. THe Ancient Mariners are now ready for the ride - after I get my bike serviced.
Ready to ride

What you get to see in Texas

First stop Alibates Flint Quarry:

Visitor Control Station

For thousands of years, people came to the red bluffs above the Canadian River for flint, vital to their existence. Demand for the high quality, rainbow-hued flint is reflected in the distribution of Alibates Flint through the Great Plains and beyond. Indians of the Ice Age Clovis Culture used Alibates flint for spear points to hunt the Imperial Mammoth before the Great Lakes were formed. The flint usually lies just below the surface at ridge level in a layer up to six feet thick. Because these quarries are located on Lake Meredith, erosion of the lake made the flint more accessible to these people. The quarry pits were not very large, between 5 to 25 feet wide and 4 to 7 feet deep. Many of these quarries were exploited by the Antelope Creek people, of the Panhandle culture, between 1200 and 1450. The stone-slabbed, multi-room houses built by the Antelope Creek people have long been of interest to the public and studied by archaeologists. Today this area is protected by the U.S. National Park Service and can only be viewed by ranger-led guided tours, which must be made in advance.

After leaving the quarryit is an easy ride back to I-40 and a 270+ mile ride Albuquerque. Boring is the operative word, as is hot.

When I get there I go to the Petroglyph National Monument, which stretches 17 miles (27 km) along Albuquerque's West Mesa, a volcanic basalt escarpment that dominates the city’s western horizon.

The7,236 acre (29.28 km2) monument is cooperatively managed by the National Park Service and the City of Albuquerque. The western boundary of the monument features a chain of dormant fissure volcanoes. Beginning in the northwest corner, Butte volcano is followed to its south by Bond, Vulcan, Black and JA volcanoes.Petroglyph National Monument protects a variety of cultural and natural resources including five volcanic cones, hundreds of archeological sites and an estimated 24,000 images carved by Ancestral Pueblo peoples and early Spanish settlers. Many of the images are recognizable as animals, people, brands and crosses; others are more complex. Their meaning was, possibly, understood only by the carver. These images are the cultural heritage of a people who have long since moved into other areas and moved on through history for many reasons. The monument is intended as a protection for these lands and sites from and for visitors to see and appreciate for generations to come. The National Monument is managed in a manner that allows recreational use.

Visitor Center

Phase 1 of the ride is complete.
Statistics - 9 states, 7 National Parks, Monuments, or Historic Sites, 2,275 miles
Phase 2 starts tomorrow after new tires and an oil change.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote