View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #41
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan77 View Post
Thanks for your answer!
So, in both cases (66x and 350), you'd resort in playing music through a (hardwired? to headset e.g. Sena SMH10) player - such as ipod/iphone - and use the bluetooth connection to your headset just for navigation from the Garmin?

Yes, and no. The Zumo 220 (and I believe the 350 also) use a Bluetooth HFP (headset) profile, whereas the 660/665 use an A2DP profile. The Sena SMH10 has the ability to selectively pair to one HFP and one A2DP profile simultaneously, but not two A2DP profiles. What does this mean? For me, it means that I can pair my Sena SMH10 to my iPhone using the A2DP profile and get stereo music (playlist, Pandora, XM Internet) plus Siri voice control, phone, etc. I can then pair the Z220 to the Sena using the HFP profile and get voice guidance from the Zumo. This way I have both devices connected to the Sena via BT, and I get full voice control of my iPhone and stereo sound from it. With the Zumo 660/665, I'd have to pair the iPhone to the Zumo (using HFP), and Zumo to Sena (using A2DP), so I lose voice control of the iPhone and don't get stereo music from the iPhone. If there's one advantage of the Zumo 220/350 over the 660/665 IMO it's this.

Hopefully, the 660/665 replacement will allow the user to pick which profile (HFP vs. A2DP) they want to pair with.