View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #1356
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will LC8 View Post
I wouldn't call myself a nut but am starting to get into radio controlled cars again. About 6 years ago I bought a nitro car because I always wanted one when I was in my teens. I thought it had a real cool factor with the exhaust note, also I remember having to wait hours for a battery to charge to get 10 minutes of run time in an old hornet my neighbor had.

I got over the nitro thing real quik after screwing with the engine and constantly breaking parts. Still seemed to get 15 minutes of run time to $45 in broken parts. After a coulple months the car sat idle in my garage for the past 5 years.

My buudy has a son in a wheelchair and one of the hobbies he's into big time being a teen is RC cars. They told me to try an electric car as they a pretty good today and he's gotten rid of all his nitro stuff and replaced it with electric.

I bought an HPI Savage XS a couple weeks ago and todays electric cars are awsome. The thing will do a standing back flip if you squeeze the trigger fast. Batteries charge in about an hour and the thing is night and day difference with what I remember as a kid. Back then it was three speeds forward and you hit reverse for brakes. Now you have infinite speed control and progressive braking. Unreal power and decent runtimes have me hooked.

I think I'm now now and looking to get a short course truck too and check out a race.

Depending on what the nitro car is you might be able to convert it to brushless and get some more life out of it.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote