View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #55
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
No post since noon, guess he didn't make it........nah it's a scooter .37gal will get him to Cleveland.
Perfect timing. I was just about to post an update.

So, did I have enough gas to go 25-30 miles? We'll never know because a few miles down the road I cam to an intersection with a sign saying "Matamoris 10 miles". I turned right and stopped at the side of the road to check my map. Matamoris was a town on the Ohio River and it looked like a town that would have a gas station but there was no way to know from the map. Luckily there was a guy in the yard of the house across the street so I asked him. He said there was a gas station there. So I headed down 260 to Matamoris. 260 turned out to be one of those "roller coaster" roads that are often found in SE Ohio. It not only had plenty of curves but was also going up and down at the same time.

It was a great ride so I didn't mind the detour.

I nfound a gas station in Matamoris and filled up - 2.2 Gallons. Going straight on 26 would have been AT LEAST 10 extra miles. Then I took a break and sat on a park bench and made a phone calls to my wife and my buddy Steve who was getting ready to take a three day ride on some of the roads I had done earlier on this trip.

It was getting hot so before getting back on my bike I put on my cooling vest. Then I headed back up 260. I was now nice and cool and didn't have to worry about running out of gas. Life was good.

A few miles after getting back on 26, there was a sign advertising a campground, general store and gas, a short ways down a road to the left. Oh well, it was a fun detour down 260.

I followed 26 to 800 then right on 145 where I took this pic:

Now I can check that famous town off my list

Why do people feel the need to tell everyone that their children are slow?? Won't it hurt their self esteem??

Then I followed 145 to 26 to 148 to 9. When 9 crossed under I-70 I stopped for gas again and asked someone if there were any hotels around. He said there were a bunch of hotels at the next exit off of I-70 but they were most likely full due to all the oil company people in town and if they weren't full they would likely be expensive. Apparently they were about to start drilling for gas or oil somewhere nearby.

I really didn't feel like staying somewhere really congested. I wanted to stay away from all that as much as possible on this trip. Besides, there were several towns up ahead. Surely there must be some hotels or motels in some of them, right? I really prefer small mom and pop motels over big chain hotels anyway.

So I continued North on 9 passing through several small towns. No sign of any motels. Finally, in the town of Carrollton, I found a large hotel, I think it was a Days Inn. It was all booked up

Well of course it was, it's the only hotel within a bazillion miles! Well, not exactly. I did ask if there were any other hotels nearby but basically I would have to head to one of the nearby cities to find one and my plan was to avoid cities. I stopped at a nearby Chinese restaurant to eat and figure out a plan.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote