View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Tilting at Windmills

Me and Don Quixote.

I spend a good part of the day chasing windmills, turbines actually.
Not something I planned, just kind of stumbled into it, like most of the roads I covered this weekend.
I'm up at 6:30 and headed to the shower - Memaloose does get points for this.
The plan is to cross into Washington at Hood River and take 14 east to the Stonehenge monument.
I'm on the road by 8 with most of the campground still asleep.

Leaving Memaloose you're forced to go west on I-84.
The plan is to head to Hood River, gas up and then cross the Columbia back to the Washington side.
The morning destination is the Stonehenge Memorial just outside of Maryhill.

I take another stab at the infamous grated deck - the winds are much lighter in the mornings.

The route east on 14 is rider friendly, two lane highway, with lots of nice curves and scenery.

Spotted this beauty just east of White Salmon. It's either a Ford 240Z or a Datsun F-150 - not sure.
I follow the river for a few miles and then spot a side road leading into the hills.
I'm here to explore so I make the spur of the moment decision to follow my eyes.
A good decision that leads to a nice relaxing slow speed curvy distraction with great views.

This road parallels 14 east and eventaully leads to the Balfour Kilickitat scenic area with parking lot, pit toilet, and trails overlooking the Columbia

This spot is just off 14 and handy for a rest and emergency pit stop

View of I-84 on the other side of the river

Time to Move On

The route for the morning so far takes me from Hood River to The Dalles where I cross the river and then back again just to see the bridge

Lots of nice curves and views from White Salmon to The Dalles on 14. The road is smooth.
When I finally get there I want to check out the bridge - this one is paved, thankfully.
I cross over into Oregon and then back again, taking pictures along the way.
The views are better than the pictures convey.

Heading towards The Dalles

Fishing Platforms - common over here

Heading back to the Washington side to continue on to the Stonehenge Memorial

Next post, heading east on 14, things get arid and I finally spot those wind turbines in the distance.

Hominid screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 10:08 PM
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote