Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #190
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Good job Vulfy.

We suffer the same thing re over load. We practice one day & all is good, go out the next day & we are like muppets, after a few days break everything we practiced seems to to have sunk in properly & our next session is an improvement. I have found the same thing in other sports. Body memory, subconscious filing? Who knows..

I had the pleasure of an advanced instructor teaching me to brake properly a few months ago. In a straight line & in a corner, not trail braking, actually in it. What you say is right. With my bikes wheelbase & weight bias I have to use both brakes, the bike stays level & forward - back weight transfer is minimal. the smart part is releasing the brakes & applying the throttle at the same time to maintain this.... takes a bit of practice. I suggest to riders that they spend some time setting the bike up to achieve this easily. I have adjusted front & rear levers so I have more control & importantly comfort. Their is a lot of discussion on how many fingers to use on the front brake. I was made to use 4 fingers in my training, for years I have used two, a hangover from dirt bikes. Three main reasons for this, with soft brakes you do not want to crush fingers & for feel, your pinkie is the most sensitive of the bunch. Also it is very easy to brake & not fully close the throttle using two fingers which I discovered in training, must have been doing it for years unaware. My hands are big enough to use throttle & brake when I use 4 fingers but now I have to do it consciously, this is why you should set your bike up, we are all different & need to find what fits.
The body position you describe is the classic moto X "attack" stance, weight over the front, pushing forward from the footrests, arms up & flexible with the best leverage & mobility. Be weird on a road bike. Do you have flat bars?

I think the smooth & quick transition from brakes to throttle is a key element for us, same as track racers. Anything in between & you have no control.

Vulfy, practice in the rain too, it really focuses the mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any further thoughts on a new toy yet?

Oh, it is easier to practice using both brakes in a curve at a reasonable speed, the bike reacts slower or rather over a greater distance. I struggled in training initially because the bike slowed & turned faster than I could react. They stop very well in a turn!!! Start very, very gently to get the feel first & do it somewhere very safe.

Happy coning all.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote