Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #192
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
LOL, I get your point on the Sumo looks, they do not gel.
Both the bikes I ride have wide bars so the only issue I have is when I hit the lock stops, I guess having arms like a gibbon helps too.
I'm reading a book on road racing technique at the moment & it reinforces what I have been taught, it's particularly interesting when it comes too braking into & accelerating out of a corner.
Basically braking hard from upright into the turn, releasing the brakes approaching the apex as lean angle increases & getting a positive throttle as the brakes are released then accelerating through the apex, not from it, to pick the bike up which should already be pointing at the next turn or part of the track to enter the next turn. The point the author reinforces is that exit speed is paramount, entry speed is dictated solely by finding grip & getting on the gas to maximise the speed into the next part of the track. Same as on the road & round the cones, to fast in is slow out & creates the risk of losing the front by over braking in the turn to compensate. The author states & I agree that you will never lose the front under acceleration but cornering with a neutral throttle runs the risk of the back coming around & if under brakes the front washing.
My take on this for us is thinking through the braking, turning & accelerating points of each maneuver so the bike is always in the right place to maintain flow. The more efficient we are at applying this, the quicker we go & the better we are at getting our bikes to their limits, not beyond them.

Next time I go out I intend to spend a fair bit of time walking through my course making broom broom noises & riding the bike in my head to put all of this into effect, well try, & also think about body position, bike position & visualise the dynamics of what is happening at a given point. The author makes a big point of working on the areas where you can gain the most speed, not the most technical or slow points. The time saved here is too small to justify the effort.
I appreciate that the book is about race tracks but I think the same principles apply for us to a certain extent. I don't expect the back end to crack out going around a cone.......
I shall let you know if this approach makes any improvement to my riding.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote