Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #193
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Hmm, interesting.
Overall everything coincides with what I'm experience and seeing in gymkhana videos, but one thing.
Accelerating through the apex.
Over at amgrass, there is a reply to my post from UK rider, and his take on braking into the corner for motogymkhana, is to tighten up chases by rear braking first, smooth application of front, and then rolling off the throttle gradually at a rate that puts you in the slowest speed at the apex and the tightest part of the spiral. And yes, you accelerate when the front wheel is pointing to the entrance of the next turn.
What he is saying about roll-off to a point of almost standing still at the apex, coincides with what I'm seeing in motogymkhana videos.

Example:

You can see the rider almost stopping at the apex, and swinging the front around. This also differs from track racing in a way, that here we are doing u-turns mostly, and to gain time, we need to travel least distance around the cone, in the least amount of time. With the track you are riding swooping turns, maintaining the line that gives you fastest speed. Here we are maintaining the line and speed to get us the fastest swing around the cone.

This is motogymkhanaman's quote from amgrass thread.

"Great stuff on the trail braking, but as you say it does take a fair bit of practice to get right. Recommend the use of just one finger on the front brake lever otherwise it will be all to easy to lock the front. The most common braking regime is with the throttle open, apply the rear first and wait a moment for the bike to squat before gradually applying the font. The rate of deceleration should then be constant as the bike capsizes to its optimum bank angle and the bike is as slow as it can go without falling over. At this point you should have spiralled in around the back of the pylon. Wait, wait, wait until the front wheel is pointing exactly towards the next turn point, when you can release the brakes entirely. The bike should instantly begen to return to the vertical and spring forward. As soon as it does you can further open the throttle. "

This does reflect my times. A swooping, more rounded turn around the cone, might feel faster, but its actually slower. A tight, "slower" turn, but with faster directional change, results in a much faster times.

Of course the weight and the overall feel of the bike still somewhat dictates how the corner is taken. My Triumph is pretty heavy, and I still can not bring it to an almost stand still at the apex, but a lighter bike, I would assume be easier to swing around, similar to what the rider in the above video is doing. I'm still managing more of a "swooping" turn, rather than "leaping".

Very very interesting stuff.

Vulfy screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 06:13 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote