View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Not exactly an apples to apples comparo, but my SV has been great in and around LA.

"Naked" model, so fairly upright and easy to maneuver, pretty lightweight, L-twin (or however you call the design) keeps the bike narrow. Stone reliable, good brakes, and plenty of power for 90mph freeway blasts when it's necessary. Do the simple basic maintenance they require and pile the miles on without worry. Mines 11 years old, so it's not exactly on the top of any thief's list.

I've blasted my little XT350 dualsport around LA, and it's nice too - lightweight, with surprising power (for what it is), but the brakes and suspension are lacking. I imagine that a DRZSM or something close would be super maneuverable and also an excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposttx View Post
I looked around a little here - did not see where this was addressed lately

Just got back from a trip to - the City - NYC
I taxied and subwayed - but saw a huge assortment on the road- vespas and naked bikes seemed to rule
What a crazy environment to ride - got me thinking about what would work there for me
I live in small town America - I commute 30 rural miles to another small town on my VTX
BUT I used to live in DFW - rode a xt500 and a nighthawk S
I think the S or xt would work well in NYC

What do you guys think would be a "safe" choice for this kind of riding - plus adding some escape to the road ?
Something moden - Maybe a vstrom? Not moving but just curious what you lurkers think?

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote