View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,493
All Things Boats, Ships, Yachts, Skiffs, Dinghies...

Returning from a week in the South of France, I realize how much I love boats, and how much I miss the days growing up on the water.

So this thread is dedicated to all things floating.

To kick it off, perhaps one of my all time favorites - introducing The Maltese Falcon, at berth in Monaco last week:

At 88 meters (289 feet), the ship has fifteen square sails (five per mast), stored inside the mast; they can fully unfurl into tracks along the yards in six minutes. The three carbon fiber masts are free-standing and able to rotate.

The yacht is easily controlled and has been seen to sail off her anchor and away from berths within harbors. The yacht's sophisticated computer detects parameters such as wind speed automatically and displays key data. An operator must always activate the controls, yet it is possible for a single person to pilot the yacht.

The Maltese Falcon has two 1,800 horsepower (1,300 kW) Deutz engines running at 1,800 rpm with a top speed of 20 kn (23 mph; 37 km/h) with minimal wave-making and virtually no vibration or noise and with a smooth and non-turbulent wake. (from Wikipedia)

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote