View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
OK, after the Fools Gold I decided that the bike needed a new timing chain before the next race. I figured that this would be just a one day affair, but it turns out that once I had it back together it wouldn't start. this bike didn't have a index on the crankshaft like most XRs do. the index is when they punch a spline so it's wider and matches up with a groove in the timing gear and pulse generate cam. I thought I got it all lined up anyway, but it didn't start... take it all apart again and check it again, but it back, same thing. a call to the local motorcycle shop and chat with the guy that used to race these (and that I got my enduro computer from), confirms the alignment of the pulser cam. like so:

put it back together, still wouldn't start....ok back to the basics... fuel (ok), air (ok), spark (hmmm)....

turns out the sparkplug must have broke when I installed it... I intalled a new spark plug and it started right up. however, I missed the next to the last Enduro before the summer. one more left. the gorman qualifier, which is 370 miles away.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote