View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #164
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgastanks View Post
Here is what happened with the Safari Tanks for the WR250R.

Out of our last container of these we had about 15 of these that were mis-molded.

The fuel pump would hit the mikuni pump when inserted so we had around 15 of these tanks that were useless.

We tried ourselves to make it work. It wasn't even close...So that's why we do not have any of these left. We have not received replacements yet. In 6 weeks we will have these.
I just experienced the same or a similar problem and managed to fix it myself.
It could be that you issue was worse than mine but here's what I did....

Mine stock pump hit the little Mikuni vacuum pump so it sat angled so much I couldn't get the screws to start but if I leaned on it a bit it was quite close but then of course I didn't want to have to do that so....

Our Fix was to remove the Mikuni pump, cover all it's pipes with tape to stop metal fillings getting in and cut the top un-used mounting bracket off it.
I also filed a rounded edge on the pump for extra clearance.
Re-install the Mikuni pump and now my pump fits perfectly, no more rubbing, screws go straight in by hand. yay !

So anyone else having this problem could have a look and see if doing that might give you enough clearance to make it work for you too.
Having no idea how bad your issue was I guess it is possible that this may not be enough for your tanks, but though I'd post as I found this thread while searching to see if anyone else had posted of the problem.

Cheers
TransalperNZ
TransalperNZ is offline   Reply With Quote