View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #98
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I picked up a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in .308 for the missus yesterday. I plan to, uh, take her shooting Sunday. Short range, 200 yards or so. I don't have dies for 308 (yet) and was wondering if anyone could recommend decent off the shelf ammunition for it.

We joined a local club that I found has a 600 yard range, my co-worker shoots his Garand there. I hope to see what it does atthat range, but first I'm going to need to work up a load that prints well at 1 and 200 yards.
Federal or Privi Match grade ammo with a 168 grain (Sierra) hollow point, boat tail bullet should do just fine. If you want better wind performance and for distances past 800 yds, try a match grade round with a 175 grain bullet.
These rounds aren't cheap but they will reflect the accuracy of the rifle. PM me if your interested in buying .308 dies...I just bought a used rifle that came with RCBS dies....I'll sell them for $20.

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote