View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #118
Studly Adventurer
kwakbiker's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham,UK
Oddometer: 657
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Thanks for the response on the licensing- that is quite complex I read it several times, and still not quite sure I get it!
I assume for each level they expect you to part with some cash, what is the total cost of getting fully licensed?
Yes, at each stage you part with cash, a cbt is usually around the 100 figure, the theory test at present is 31, the moudule 1 fee is aprrox 18 and mod 2 is 85. On top of the mod 1 and 2 fee's will be bike hire costs/training fee's. Typical cost for doing whats called DAS(direct access scheme using at least a 500cc machine making at least 46bhp) will be around 5-600 including the test fee's for an average 3 days training with test fee's. You could in theory buy your own large bike, insure it etc, trailer it to the test centre and just pay the test fee's yourself but you would need to be either very confident on the bike or very good at riding to have no training.
Some people take that route if they take their test on a 125 giving them the restricted licence for 2 years as there is no difference to what you do on a CBT in regards to safety, just the standard is expected to be higher on the actual test and in theory can afford to fail each test a couple of times before reaching the costs some training schools will charge

It changed to this system in 2009 as before you used to have cbt and theory and then an on road practical assssment with doing a u-turn and emergency stop in a quiet road with another 30 mins riding.........then the sods in Brussells decided to interfere with our licencsing system

Hope that makes sense
2007 Versys

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote