View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
After settling in we had a great fish/shrimp taco lunch, I then crashed out and headed to Reno the next morning.

80 up to Taho/Reno is pretty awesome. Though it's not exactly a tight and technical mountain road, there's lots of smooth, fast sweepers and surprisingly I only saw one CHP all the way up.

photo IMG_0113.jpg

I've been using the site Airbnb.com to book stays in cities. Basically it's an apartment/condo/room/house rental site and most listings are by the owners themselves, not a rental agency. The result is you get to feel a little what it's like to actually live in a neighborhood vs. just staying at some craptastic hotel off an onramp. Most places are about the same price as a motel, but you get a hell of a lot more (kitchen, laundry, nicer place, no bedbugs).

Being fairly skeptical of most people I went along the lines of breaking out of my normal box and rented just a room instead of my own private place for the night. It was a little odd at first, checking into someone's house, but my 'landlord for the day' turned out to be a pretty damn cool 28 year old chick originally from MN. She's a stand-up comic by night and a web designer by day. Place was awesome and she was a great conversationalist. First new friend of the trip! Also met up with a friend of a friend and visited for a little while with her. In 1 afternoon I had managed to increase my (somewhat, err, limited) social network by a factor of 20%!

And no--that's not moonshine in the Bell Jar.

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 12:51 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote