View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #98
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,285
Surferchris1 posted this in another thread.

"My supermoto coach put it to me a good way.

"It doesn't make you fast, it's just a byproduct of being fast."

I asked him a long time ago if I would get faster if I practiced backing it in? He told me not to practice it, and not to even think about it very much, that as I got faster I would just find myself doing it. It should be something that just comes naturally at a certain skill level, don't force it. He was right.

He told me the problem is that backing it in is flashy, so people do it to show off, and they end up doing it in places where they really shouldn't, and they lose time, or crash.

There is a time and a place for it, but most people think about it way too much, just focus on hitting your corners right, braking right, and having your weight in the right places, and the back end will brake loose if and when it needs to. "

- - - - - - - - -

Regarding trail braking, this quote speaks to me. As speeds come up due to proper straight line threshhold braking, hitting one's turn-in mark and straffing the apex reliably, the rider will begin to introduce SOME trail braking as part of the cornering technique. It is a natural progression from a well learned set of skills. One learns to trail brake because one percieves a need to do so only after all the basic skills are max'd out. Most people learn to juggle bean bags every which way near perfectly before they try it with chain saws.
If a rider was to ask me trail braking questions, I would be looking at his ability to do everything else so well that his/her questions would be well founded. And then I would most likely point him to a peer for assistance as he would be beyond my level of skill both as a rider and as a riding coach. It doesn't bother me to reply, "I don't know." when I have nothing left to add to the discussion.
Maybe what such a rider needs to learn is to become more like Freddie Spencer and cross up the forks during straight line braking and push the front end up to the turn-in point rather than trail brake after corner intitiation? Kenny Roberts teaches that to his go-fast guys. And he uses 50cc pocket rockets on dirt for his initial lesson to the art.
Carp! I don't know? How many track gurus does anyone know who can go so fast, so reilably, while trail braking to be able to calmly watch another rider trail brake and catch some minute ridding error in the the other rider's execution? I can't do that. Yet.