View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
SteveO OP
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Cool2 Pro Moto Billet Kickstand UPgrade

The KTM kickstands leave a lot to be desired. They are held in place by a single bolt, which will fail and leave the rider without a kickstand.

I decided to "upgrade" to a Pro Moto Billet Kickstand. While the kickstand looks nice.....

there is a flaw with the design of this kickstand....at least, in my humble opinion, there is a flaw
The pin that holds the kickstand portion, holds the kickstand in place with a Snap-Ring. This Snap Ring is not very strong when leverage is placed on it during a dirt-nap.....

To remedy this engineering oversight, I created my own backing plate to replace the Pro Moto Billet "plastic" backing cover.

I cut a 3/16" steel plate to the size of the plastic cover.
I drilled a 3/8 hold in this plate that would allow a bolt to go through this plate.
I drilled out the kickstand leg to 1/2", and put a steel sleeve in it, in which the 3/8" bolt would slide through the steel sleeve.
Now, the kickstand leg is being supported by both sides of the kickstand body and a bolt that goes all the way through......instead of "Snap Ring" holding it all together.

This should last a lot longer now....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:44 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote