View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #45
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Grande Prairie to Tumbler Ridge continued

Not far from the Red Willow bridge, the FSR connects with the Heritage Highway.

It's a highway, but the gravel kind.

And the mountains are starting to come in view .

As I stopped to take this shot and stretch a bit, a young Newfoundlander came by in a lifted pickup, tunes blaring and a girl on his arm. You could tell that he was happy to be alive. He stopped to make sure I was okay (looking over the bike and probably wondering what I was doing way out here) and let me know that there was a Grizzly grazing in the ditch a mile back.

I take that as my cue to hop back on the bike and see if I can catch a glimpse of it. I arrived in time to see the bushes sway as said Griz waddled into the brush. Didn't get my picture, but I was excited to see that bears were out even in the afternoon heat.

Eventually road the turns to pavement and starts carving through the foothills. We don't have many corners where I come from, so I was enjoying waiting until the last minute and then leaning the bike far more than necessary through the turns.

On one such turn. I found the Grizzly I was looking for.

It was a young feller, probably a 2 or 3 year old male, and he was standing right beside the road. Yep, standing. I almost got a picture of him peering at me over the brush on his hind feet from about 8 feet, but I was a fraction of a second too slow.

Too bad. It would have been a good one.

But I continue on, resolving to be faster on the draw next time. After a while, I pull off the highway to check out Flatbed Creek.

Now I wasn't going to go all the way to Tumbler Ridge and not explore any mining roads, so at the first promising looking one, I decided to see what I could see.

As you'll find out, I got a little more than I bargained for...
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote