View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #123
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Day 16

Friday, June 15
Mileage: ~ 650

Today was the longest riding day of the trip.

...It was all super-slab, and photo opportunities were few and far between

As I mentioned in the last post, I fought heavy winds the day before. After getting settled in at the hotel, and after a quick dinner, the day crescendoed with an incredible thunder storm. It was good timing. Had the storm hit an hour earlier, I would have been out in the middle of nowhere with no opportunity for cover. I was glad to have a covered parking spot outside the lobby, and was actually concerned the bike would get blown over.

Thankfully, the only effect of the bike was a few less bugs were on it in the morning.

My plan was to make it to RedBud's in the late afternoon. So I needed to get on the road early. I set the alarm and went to bed early. The alarm never went off, but I only woke up about an hour later than I had wished. So I packed up and left in a rush - and apparently left my camera lanyard in the room somewhere. Oh well. After a quick breakfast I hit the slab and headed west.

I guess mother nature didn't think my shower at the hotel was adequate, and she gave me another.

The shower I just drove through

Thankfully I didn't get too wet. As it tended to work out, I finally gave in and put on my rain gear - past that point it didn't rain again.

I passed into Oklahoma one more time. (Yesterday I passed through the panhandle)

Impressions of Oklahoma: it was much more wooded and green than I expected. I liked it.

And then I passed into Arkansas....

...and headed towards Memphis.

The wind picked up again for the second day in a row. The trees helped a lot, but when I rode near a wide-open field, it was like fighting a non-stop blast from passing a semi

Nearing Memphis

Old man river....

Remember, I had left my lanyard at the hotel in Texas. I wasn't real excited about taking these pics - with no drop-protection..

Is the Egypt or Tennessee?

I wasn't expecting a pyramid

Tonight's accommodations were at the Red Bud Inn (pics from my phone are small for some reason)

I wish I had taken more pictures, but RedBud was an awesome host.
No sooner had I unpacked, and gotten cleaned up, he treated me to a steak dinner.

Not only was RB in pain, recovering from surgery resulting from a broken collar bone, he had worked in the Memphis heat all day at his construction project. None the less, he asked me if I had ever been to Memphis. I hadn't, so he insisted that we take a quick tour and then enjoy Beale Street.

We had a blast!

These guys were REALLY good

My wife saw the below pick in real-time on Facebook (via mobile upload) and thought we were in a Cops episode.

We were at Beale Street for several hours...

(another goof photo that ended up kinda cool)

...but after a while we figured we had better head back to Red Bud's place before the we really ended up in a Cops episode.

Not until after we were back at his apartment (1:00AM-ish)...

...and after Red Bud showed off his new vintage project bike...

...did he fess up that he had to go to work early in the morning.

Mark, if you are reading this: I owe you one buddy. You went WAY above and beyond.

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 06:44 AM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote