View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #229
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsnatcher View Post
Thread necromancy ...

My R75/6 battery died and I need a replacement.

Do we have a consensus or semi consensus on LiFePo?

Do I go new tech or old tech?
that depends on your budget $$$ and how important saving weight is?
main advantage of LiFePO4 batteries are weight savings and low self discharge rate.

Lead acid batteries have advanced too. if weight savings is not a concern AGM batteries also has low self discharge rates at sightly higher $$ with excellent performance.

disadvantage of LiFePO4, technology is still fairly new, where marketing may not meet with reality.
exaggerated amp hour ratings are a valid complaint. what battery mfg recommends is usually too small. one may need to go several sizes up to match performance of original wet lead acid battery.

if LiFePO4 battery is going on say a motocross bike, savings several pounds is pretty appealing. especially if that motocross bike is only ridden in fair weather.

new gen high tech adventure bikes have highest requirement of needing weight savings, cold weather and extreme cranking performance for extended crank cycles. as in recovering from bad fuel and/or diagnosing failed component(s).

so if saving weight is not a concern. my recommendations is go with a high quality AGM motorcycle battery.

airheads are not known for high output charging systems. so amp hour ratings especially come into play if one is running heated gear and doing short runs.

if you should decide to go with much lighter LiFePO4. smaller LiFePO4 batteries may start your motorcycle fine, but do so with very little amp hour in reserve. my recommendations is to go with the largest LiFePO4 battery that you can afford. especially if you planning on riding your bike during the winter.

if goal is to duplicate performance of original OEM battery (new gen adventure bike). say bike originally came with a 16 amp hour wet lead acid battery. replace with a equivalent 16 amp hour AGM. if going with LiFePO4, currently my recommendation is downgrade actual amp hour ratings by about 75% = 12 amp hour actual rating for LiFePO4 if replacing a 16 amp hour lead acid battery.

_cy_ screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 12:07 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote