View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
I have had my 2009 KTM 690r enduro for close to three years now and mods have mostly followed two paths. The first is replacing stock parts that have been reported to fail, and the second is adding or replacing parts to make the bike more durable. The weak point of the 690 has been the fuel system so I replaced the stock fuel pump with the CA Cycleworks pump. Also I added the extra fuel filter where the quick disconnect used to be. Stock fuel tank bolts were replaced with stronger ones. Also I just replaced the stock voltage regulator with a Mosfet type. I did these mods just to decrease the chance of a failure, but my guess is that even stone stock the percent of failures might be very low. So not doing any of these mods will make no difference in many cases. On the other hand, after 6 straight days riding all day in Baja with zero problems, I feel better about having done those mods. Other mods were more protective skid plate, LED rear turn signals after I broke the stockers, euro rear tail light and fender after I almost destroyed my license plate,better lever guards, and other mods just to replace OEM parts with stronger aftermarket parts. Mods I did purely because I wanted to were Akra Pipe and Vortex ECU. I added Rally Raid tanks because I needed the extra mileage for Baja. I am pretty sure that had I ridden a stock bike I would have had some failures or would have broken something. So in my case I feel like most of the mods were worth it and have made the bike more crash proof and more reliable. The only engine related issue I have had with the bike was two days separated by over a year where the bike was trying to die or did die which turned out to be caused by a poor coil connection.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote