View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #83
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Great story man. Reading it I realize everything I've done in my life so far is on a small scale when compared to your adventures. I did two mini-triathlons, raced mountain bikes, my Ducati is a Streetfighter (but it still is a babe magnet). Had my scares with health issues. Nothing as big or as serious as what you just described. But it helps me relate to your story. Not that I really need that sort of experience to capture your moment, as you tell it very well.

Have you seen the movie, "One Week"? The guy gets a cancer diagnosis, immediately buys a motorcycle, says good-bye to his girlfriend and travels from east to west (it is in Canada) all the way to the pacific. The bike was a Norton Commando.

Riding a motorcycle itself is a way to be in the moment, like meditation. Especially when we are busy with curves, speed, dirt roads, or traffic, anything that assists the motorcycle in monopolizing all of our senses. On that film, the character gets to Banf, checks in on a nice hotel and goes out on a hike, by himself. There he kind of gets lost and eventually meets a girl that is camping by herself in the middle of nowhere in the forest. They have a great time and he spends the night with her and at some point, before they say good bye, she tells him that to her all that matters is to live the moment. It was an important moment for him, for the story.

Although I have a feeling you took care of your health problem, your story is not too dissimilar to the story portrayed in the "One Week" film. And it is so much better to do it without that deadline looming closely, right? In my life I welcomed the opportunities, usually something negative that has pushed me to break away from my comfort zone, start something else, help me see how nice the other side of the mountain is. So please carry on. I'm on a vicarious mode, enjoying your writing and photos.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 11:41 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote