View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #98
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
So late afternoon was great yesterday so I decided to do some exploring on the outskirts of Boulder.

Beautiful scenery, perfect roads and light traffic. It was almost too peaceful to drive like I should have.

But, these were new roads to me, so I wasn't out trying to set any TT Course records. But nor was I exactly driving like a grandma. Came up and around a corner and had "oh shit!" moment. The road just ends like it did at Bonneville. No warning, no sign. Just dirt and gravel. I was looking well through the turn so saw it as soon as possible and both my sphinkter and ABS did the rest.

If I hadn't had ABS perhaps this picture would have been a viral "first Panigale crashed" pic. Sorry to disappoint.

Coming back I came across a cyclist who'd just gone down:

Road bike dude (Caleb) lowsided (it happens on bicycles, too, only you're never wearing armor). The DOT worker who saw it estimated he'd been doing about 30mph downhill. Could have been a lot worse. Other than a really nice road rash on his left hip most of the damage was on the backside of his arms and legs. He was too bad off to be amused by a "can I take a picture of your bloody arms and legs" question, but I still snapped a couple shots.

He wasn't just in pain. He was definitely out of it, though. Didn't see any major damage on his helmet, but he was struggling to talk. Wasn't sure if he was choked up or had a head injury. There was no cell service, so I got his wife's number and drove 5 miles out to get a signal. I was thinking--damn--if this was a motorcycle accident the guy would bleed to death before a call could even be made. Gave her directions to the spot, then went back to confirm with them that I'd made contact and she was on her way.

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 01:04 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote