View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 780
Day 2 (23km): Bella Coola la bella

Every time I start my bike first thing in the morning the engine sounds TERRIBLE (I'll post a short video soon) Remnants of the rebuild in Peru no doubt. Despite what my dealer says, it does not sound like my fathers F8GS. At least it's still going I guess, but I'm not pleased that dealers are adamant that that is how the bike is supposed to sound. No way.

We had planned for a quick morning. Wake up, pack up and head to the ferry. We were supposed to get to the terminal 2 hrs before the scheduled sailing time for our reservation, and we did.... just. The ferry didn't seem that busy at any rate, so I think we would have been fine either way. The extra time hanging around the terminal was spent talking shop with the 2 1200GSs also taking the ferry, and eating some breakfast. Once again it was a nice day, so hanging around the ferry terminal was no big deal.

A glorious sunny morning in P. Hardy

We didn't have to spend that long waiting to board the ferry, or it didn't seem that long anyway. On board we quickly secured the bikes and got some prime seating upstairs. What we didn't know at the time is that the chairs all face in the wrong direction so we ended up being on the opposite side that we had intended to. Lesson learned for next time.

A BMW afair ... those tie-downs were pretty useless (the beemer owner on the left used his own tie-downs)

We took advantage of the ferry wall sockets and charged up all of our devices. Alternating between time lounging outside in the sun and relaxing inside out of the wind. Lunch was surprisingly good, somehow this ferry food tasted better than normal. We were able to leave all our things at our seats and roam about the boat worry free, a nice thing about traveling in Canada. All of our stuff was always waiting for us when we returned; it was a very comfortable relaxed atmosphere.

Our spot for 13 hrs

Ferry views

Very cool lighthouse

Lunch time!

The BC Ferries employees were exceptional, very friendly and helpful throughout. At dinner time they cooked up a BBQ on the bow outside deck, and it was fantastic. The ladies working in the cafeteria even gave us some techniques to score extra food! We dined out on the deck and were rewarded with a great view, sunshine and wildlife. Joining us for dinner was a pod of dolphins and then a little later some humpback whales decided to join the party. They weren't really doing anything exciting mostly just coming up and down getting some air, but out of nowhere one breached and it was awesome! We also had a slight peek of a tale. Either way it was great! Loved the ferry ride, it is a worthwhile experience particularly when the weather is clear skies and sunshine.

Worth the price

The coast line

Originally named BASTO II

Blue skies all the way!

BBQ on the deck!

Not often we have a chance for the two of us to be on the same photo

BBQ chicken was more than enough for 2

It was a very very nice dinner experience

Dolphins playing all around the ship

The tale of a whale

Mountains by the sea

Did we mention that the views were amazing?

See the size of the tree for a scale of things

Naomi takes great photos!

Near the end

Red snow

It was a bit hectic when we landed in Bella Coola because they don't let you down to the car deck until the ferry is actually docked. We were racing like mad trying to get our bikes packed back up and helmets on. It was dark when we got off, but luckily it was only 16km to the campground we had booked in Hagensborg. The couple that run the Gnome Home RV and Campground are really friendly and they were waiting at the entrance with a flashlight to flag us down.

We pretty much just set up the tent and crashed, it was a long but great day. Kinda weird since we didn't do any riding, haha

Late camping

betitolara screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 01:51 PM
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote