View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Honda FT500 rumbler/scrambler/tracker kinda thing

Howdy!

It's my first post, about my third bike. In the past (3 years) I had a Kawa KZ400 four cyl. and a Suzuki GS850. At the time I worked as a bicycle repairman in Amsterdam. I had a low budget and lots of enthusiasm. How low and how many? I didn't have a license yet, so I went to a driving school in The Netherlands. They asked me 1500 EUR for starters and said it will take at least 6 months. Bollocks... I called up some driving schools in Poland (where I come from) and told them I have 2 weeks vacation and I wish to get a license. Usual fee was 200 EUR, I paid 100 EUR extra and did the whole course in 10 days. Voila! Now the bikes.

I got each of them in non running condition for around 200 EUR. I knew how to fix bicycles and I thought motorbikes are pretty much the same except for the engine. In order to make them road worthy I used to paint them flat black, duct tape the things that were moving and shouldn't, WD-40 the things that were not moving and should, and hammer the rest into shape. 'Never use force, use a hammer' was my slogan. 'If it doesn't help, use a bigger hammer'. 'If still it doesn't help it means you have an electrical problem'.

Equipped with lot's of hope, a hammer and a spanner I used to squeeze 10000km out of them till they were squirting more oil out than I put back in. I had to sell them for parts for 100 EUR or less. In course of that motorcycle introduction period I learned that: 1. I hate 270kg four cylinder bikes, 2. I want to be able to go off road, 3. a 270kg four cylinder bikes suck big time off road.

Here's an example of how desperate I was to ride a motorbike:

Make sure to notice the hand guards cut out from oil containers, bold rear tire, bicycle speedo and ducttaped seat. Don't get me wrong, it was perfect!

Here's how to use a motorbike as a hammock anchor:

I returned to Poland early this year and was really bike hungry. Even though my budget doubled, all I could lay my hands on was the ugliest bike in the world (in my opinion), a 1982 Honda FT500.

I started striping it down. I made quite a mess in front of the house.

I got those fenders from old Polish WSK for 5 EUR, deal of the century.

They had this really cool old school rubber flappy end, I love it.

I know there is a proper way to close a o-ring chain. There's probably also the old Indian way, the Japanese way and the German way, most proper of them all for sure. But I don't know any of them.

Da front mock up.

In order to make it dirt worthy I purchased a pair of second hand enduro tires. Second hand tires are quite popular here. My story behind it goes like this: Zee Germans buy brand new tirez for zzeir brand new shiny BMWs. Than zzey put an ADV sticker on and commute on zzem for the next 5001km. At that point they scream: Mein Got! Zee sticker on zee tire sayz I can ride only 5000km on zzem. What waz I sinking? So they go to a garage and buy a new set of rubber. Than a Polish man with a van comes buy and buys those perfectly good tires for 5 EUR and later sells them to me for 40 EUR. What a rip off!

More to come, stay tuned.
fotoduda.com is online now   Reply With Quote