View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 780
Day 3 (292km): The Movie Spot

The first real day of the trip begins, real because we are actually riding in places we've never been. We sort of had a lazy start due to the late night the previous evening. We showered up, breakfasted up and then hit the road.

Two bikes, one tent = perfect!

Breakfast setup

Bella Coola!

Back on the road surrounded by awesome vistas

The scenery was quite impressive in the light of day. We decided to back track back into Bella Coola to see what was up. That took about 5min, and then we were back on the road heading east. While Alberto was parked at the side of the road taking a picture a friendly local told him to follow him to a great spot to get some good views of the mountains. So off we went into the hills following the guy in the red pickup. It was like a 15min detour, what a friendly guy to offer. It's fun, bizarre, random moments like that that make doing trips fun for us.

Leaving Bella Coola

Blue skies again!

Lots of 'head-turning' scenery

We enjoyed the road very much. There was very little traffic and lots of amazing scenery. Reasonably twisty and the road surface is fair.

What a nice ride it was

Wow...

Incredible panoramas right next to the road

After a 'photo break' we needed to keep rolling

We experienced the infamous "hill". A very nicely maintained dirt road I must say. Some of the tightest switchbacks we have ever been on. It was great fun!

On 'The Hill'

Twisty stuff

Why do they call it 'The Hill'?

Still climbing up

Heidenau vs VeeRubber

Then when the dirt road plateaus it is quite smooth, wide and fast, very much like a paved highway. Some people were really flying too, we tried to keep it sensible. The only complaint we have is that when we stopped for lunch the mosquitoes were crazy, so much so that we had to postpone our lunch stop!

Lunch break ... before the mosquitoes noticed our presence

Smooth like mantequilla (ala Jorge Lorenzo)

We felt really isolated riding today, which reminded us of riding in foreign countries. I joked to Alberto that I never need to leave BC again because I can simulate almost any type of riding in this province.

It was another gorgeous sunny today, quite warm actually. We both had our vents blasted wide open! How long can this luck continue? I hope a long time. We eventually stopped for gas and lunch in Nimpo lake. There were mosquitoes but it was not nearly as bad as earlier. We continued on Highway 20 until Tatla Lake where we turned off on a secondary road to find a campsite that was recommended by the owners of Gnomes Home. They said it was called the Movie Spot, because of the scenery. It was worth the detour and then some. We camped at a spectacular lake side Rec Site with fantastic mountain views. Life is good.

Well maintained dirt roads almost too well to call it 'adventure riding'

Naomi and her new head gear: XD4 + S.Cardo G9

La Gringa back on the road, where it belongs (50% of the time napping on it )

We set up shop right on the lake in a pretty private little site. We were all settled in pretty early, which gave us a chance to enjoy the sun and the views. A nice relaxing evening is a perfect spot.

Tatlayoko Lake = amazing

Free camping @ its best!

The view from our tent

The 'movie spot' view

Dinner time!

GREAT camping spot:

Agua es vida (Water is life)

Nice to enjoy what BC has to offer

I like this shot

Planning our next move

Great gadget to keep our electronics running
[