epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Prologue

Let’s start with some introductions

Nick - The Map Guy

Shawn - The Veteran

Bernie

For the record, I blame this entirely on Bernie.

It all started with this picture:

It was October 2011 and I had recently been toying with getting a motorcycle for commuting when spring rolled around. At lunch I joked about how the right way to buy a motorcycle would be to buy one site unseen on the west coast and then drive it back. A few hours later Bernie sent me that picture - it was on.

I started the immense project of planning a three week motorcycle trip emphasizing as much off-road travel as possible. This would be our route to travel:

Clearly we knew exactly what lay before us..

The whole idea began with doing the ride on a craigslist KLR... but we started talking ourselves up into something nicer, maybe a Vstrom or a Versys. At lunch one day we went to the Beemer shop and threw a leg over an F800GS. That sealed the deal for both of us. It was the bike for this trip.

Oh, I should probably mention at this point I had never ridden a motorcycle.

It was still late fall and we were having a mild winter - so I picked up a used dual sport on the cheap in November so I could learn to ride while we searched the left coast for a pair of F800’s. While we were searching for motorcycles we also searched far and wide for another person or two to come with us. Who could turn down the promise of long days in the saddle, risk, endless vibration, and the cost of such a trip? Well, turns out most people. Luckily Shawn was immediately interested and signed up after he got back from Central America and we had a trio.

After looking online and calling around for a while buying over the phone just wasn’t going to happen. Looks like we were going to have to buy them here and just ship them out to the west coast. WHAT A BUMMER! :rolling:
February seemed like a great time to buy a motorcycle, so Bernie and I picked up a pair of F8’s in Arlington, MA - White and Orange.

The rest of the details are pretty boring, so let’s fast forward to the day before I leave for the trip. I didn’t have a motorcycle license, but not for lack of trying. Thursday morning I find myself driving from Hollis to Uxbridge, MA to pick up a little blue piece of paper saying I had completed a training course. I brought it to Nashua where I was told I needed a green piece of paper saying the exact same thing. Off to Concord! Finally, in the 11th hour, I was legally able to drive a motorcycle. Then drop Kim off at Logan, back to Hollis to sleep for a few hours It was a trying day, but well worth it.

Friday June 29th, we all met up in the terminal at Logan airport with big $hit eating grins on our faces. Our bikes had been shipped to some friends in Redwood City, CA weeks before and today was the day we would all be reunited. It was going to be quite an adventure..
+
Apparently I'm part Scottish. Who would've guessed?

epicxcrider screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:29 AM
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote