Thread: Hacks-n-Pups
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #819
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I've seen small water bottles that have a pump and hose with a mist nozzle at the end. They are really nice for hot days. You could rig it up to deploy a small amount of mist that might last a while as you ride down the road.
That would work for a human, but in the summer heat the only way I could give Barley any evaporative cooling relieve was to pull over and work cool water into his belly fur and ruff, then have him shake to make his fur stand up. And even then, to get the cooling effect he had to sit up exposing his chest to air flow, which put his head in direct sunlight. Still, that seemed to be the method he preferred.

I bought a couple of Touratech squirt bottles thinking I could hose him down without stopping, but it didn't work well. First it soaked into his dog bed, and memory foam is like a huge sponge. Secondly if he didn't have the ability to shake his wet fur laid flat and acted like an insulating layer.

Another thing I did on really hot days was to stuff my small camelback with ice and put it on top of his bed for him to lay on. It's insulated so well he didn't get cold spots, nor did it sweat and make a soggy mess on his bed.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote