View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Bygone Days

I bought a brand-new. red '79 Pinto with the savings from my first job. I was a busboy, and I was fifteen and a half years old. When I started the job, I was paid $1.85 and hour, but within a couple of months the minimum wage increased to $3.35. Still, at that rate it took me a long time to save up the $475 that J.C. Penny was asking for the bike.

When I finally had the money saved, my nineteen year-old brother took me up to the mall in the family's spare car, a 1974 Caprice Classic with a 400 c.i.d. engine. We put the moped (still in it's cardboard box) in the cavernous trunk and drove it home. As we were assembling the moped in the driveway my Mom pulled up, and boy was she pissed.

Anyhow, I drove that moped rain or shine for the next year or so, and two of my teenaged buddies also bought mopeds - one a Motobecane, and the other a Bianchi, I believe. We formed a "gang", and called ourselves The Mad, Muscular, Mustashioed Moped Men. (when you're 15, you are quite proud of your recently emerged facial hair)

We had a blast that year, and those times formed the foundation of the love of two-wheeling that I still have to this day.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 04:12 AM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote