View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #1400
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugnheim View Post
Hey guys, need a suggestion. I don't do R/C(yet, anyway!) but my brother in law mentioned looking for a first time plane kit for him and his 7 year old boy to build over the next few months together. It's the young one's b-day coming up and I want to get them something. He has no R/C experience, but is a good modeler. I'm of course open to any ready to fly options that aren't going to be left on a shelf in a few months after they get better. I realize a lot of this is open ended, but have no idea where to start.
Thanks
Ryan
There are a few options out there. If they want to build the airplane they might consider a Multiplex Easy Star ARF, then purchasing the equipment separately to put into the airplane as they build it.

I always recommend sticking with the stock electric Permax 400 motor and propeller, especially if they are a beginner. It's a great combination that makes it difficult to get into trouble with the throttle. Of course I also recommend HS81 servos (or similar sized, really an HS55 is fine, or even a HobbyKing HXT900, though the HXT's won't fit into the servo pockets snug, you will have to glue them in on one side) with a decent beginner transmitter. Hitec RCD makes some good transmitters (I always recommend Hitec RCD, they are a local company to me and have the customer support to back their products) as well as Spektrum- a Hitec Optic 6 Sport, Spektrum Dx6i, or any one of those transmitters I recommend.

Speed controllers vary, you will need a brushed one, I'll recommend a 20 amp with LiPo compatibility and at least a 2 amp BEC. Then of course a 2200-3000mah 2 cell 20C lipo pack for those long flight times.