View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #1400
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugnheim View Post
Hey guys, need a suggestion. I don't do R/C(yet, anyway!) but my brother in law mentioned looking for a first time plane kit for him and his 7 year old boy to build over the next few months together. It's the young one's b-day coming up and I want to get them something. He has no R/C experience, but is a good modeler. I'm of course open to any ready to fly options that aren't going to be left on a shelf in a few months after they get better. I realize a lot of this is open ended, but have no idea where to start.
Thanks
Ryan
There are a few options out there. If they want to build the airplane they might consider a Multiplex Easy Star ARF, then purchasing the equipment separately to put into the airplane as they build it.

I always recommend sticking with the stock electric Permax 400 motor and propeller, especially if they are a beginner. It's a great combination that makes it difficult to get into trouble with the throttle. Of course I also recommend HS81 servos (or similar sized, really an HS55 is fine, or even a HobbyKing HXT900, though the HXT's won't fit into the servo pockets snug, you will have to glue them in on one side) with a decent beginner transmitter. Hitec RCD makes some good transmitters (I always recommend Hitec RCD, they are a local company to me and have the customer support to back their products) as well as Spektrum- a Hitec Optic 6 Sport, Spektrum Dx6i, or any one of those transmitters I recommend.

Speed controllers vary, you will need a brushed one, I'll recommend a 20 amp with LiPo compatibility and at least a 2 amp BEC. Then of course a 2200-3000mah 2 cell 20C lipo pack for those long flight times.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote